1. Be your spouse’s biggest ally. They are first. Have ‘their back” in all situations. (Before the kids, the ex, the job, etc.)
2. Seriously pray for wisdom daily/hourly. Remarriage and stepfamily life is a huge challenge.
3. Assume the best in your spouse. Stay positive.
4. When nothing is going right, hold each other for 30 seconds, then kiss.
5. Two attitudes are contagious: Gratitude and Forgiveness. We can never have enough of this stuff! Gratitude for each other and sometimes forgiveness for ourselves.
6. Don’t forget about “self-care.” A stronger more relaxed you rub off on everyone.
7. Keep gathering information and support about remarriage and the stepfamily. Tap into the experience of others who may be a little further along in their remarriage experience. Continue to invest in your relationship.
8. You’re building a legacy of restoration. Keep that goal in front of you, even on the darkest days. It’ll be worth it. The best gift we can give our kids is a strong marriage. Always forward!
9. Laugh more!
10. Remember what brought you together in the first place. When was the last time you were on a date? Away for a weekend? Be intentional with each other…always.
As Gil and Brenda say…
“If you ain’t got the marriage…you ain’t got nothin’.”